Saturday 9 October 2021

Finnegan

 If you bring forth what is within you,

what you bring forth will save you.

If you do not bring forth what is within you,

what you do not bring forth will destroy you.

- Gospel of Thomas                                         

 

During the Summer, I made the time to attend a writer's retreat, with the vague notion that it might help me to overcome my authorial constipation. It was interesting, I learned a few tips & tricks, and scribbled plenty of thoughts & notes, but still I didn't come back & start writing 'finished articles'. This is, undoubtedly, due at least in part to my previously-related struggles with adding to the 'noise' of the world. 

Last month, I took delivery of Saved by a Song, the newly-released memoir of singer-songwriter Mary Gauthier. When I opened it, I was immediately confronted by the above quote on the very first page, upon which I closed the book and pondered long & hard...

In truth, I am filled with what Juvenal called 'the insane urge to write' (the subheading of my page, if you'd ever wondered....). Like Jeremiah, I am weary from holding in the words, and I need to get back to writing regularly - if only for the good of my own health. To quote Mary Gauthier, "Making art keeps an artist's soul alive".

 Now I just have to work out what's a sustainable  pattern to allow me to do this. Keep 'em peeled....


Peace,

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment