Monday 14 April 2014

Musing on a Musical

Travelled to Sheffield last month, to see Fiddler on the Roof at the Lyceum as a birthday treat. A good time was had by all, and it was surprisingly poignant to see Paul Michael Glaser singing Sunrise, Sunset in the role of Tevye, some 43 years after singing the role of the young revolutionary Perchik.

Now, here's the thing - I was actually thinking on the journey up from Lincoln what "the question of my life" could be summarised as. That is, what one question best encapsulates how I've lived my life so far. In many ways, I find questions more helpful than answers, for it is through attempting to answer the questions that we grow & change - moreso, in my opinion, than we do when we think we have the answers.

So, anyways, I think that for me, that question (or should that be Question?) is "How far is too far?" The pushing of boundaries - personal, political, relational, comedic, faith, work, physical, mental - has been the dominant question of my life to date. Of course, when you ask that question, the only way you get a definitive answer is when you've reached & breached the outer limits, which always exacts a cost. I've lost friends, hurt people, and damaged myself. I've been locked up, knocked down, thrown out, sent to Coventry, and had employment terminated. The things I've inflicted upon myself, they're my problem, but if you're reading this & you're one of the people who's been on the wrong side of my pushing too far, too fast, too hard - well, you I owe an apology to. No excuses - if you fit the bill, I am sorry (and if I can make amends, let me know). Working out my question doesn't give me the right to trample others.

That said, perhaps the reason that Fiddler on the Roof has such resonance for me is that at it's heart, it's a story about "how far is too far?" and that, perhaps, too far is a lot further away than we think.

There's an interpretation of the story of Abraham bargaining with God over Sodom & Gomorrah that asks 'was God willing Abraham on to greater efforts of intercession & mercy? What would have happened if Abraham had asked God to spare the cities even if no-one righteous was found within them?'
How far is too far? Is anyone beyond the reach of the love of Jesus?

So, what's the Question of your life?

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment